Thread: laptop
View Single Post
Old 13th August 2008
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eine View Post
I don't understand, why would you running FreeBSD on virtual if you could dual boot or even single boot FreeBSD? I don't know what people said, but I think it's much much much better to dual boot, since you will probably destroy the other OS, or maybe other nasty things...and that's when you learn and never forget

virtual, however, still 'virtual'...
It looks like using FreeBSD through VMWare might be more convenient, simply because I could switch between Windows and X instantly. I don't plan on gaming or anything in FreeBSD, so the performance should be fine (or at least, it'll probably be faster than my current setup with Xming and putty). I hear flash 9 support is somewhat lacking in FreeBSD, too, which makes VMWare look even more attractive. Of course, I'd still like to get a laptop with mostly compatible hardware, in case I decide that dual booting is the way to go (or even single booting).

Quote:
i would recommended something else....i've used Compaq HP Presario v2000 for 2 years ( althought now it's sold ), and it's still fine till now. Many of my friend buy Acer because it's cheaper, but then i found it's battery is dropping in almost 1 year or later...most of it before 1 year..anyway, i don't like Acer, but it's up to you
Acer and Asus are actually different companies. I made that mistake the first time I got recommended Asus, too :/ Back when I was working with the IT Administrator in high school I worked with Acers a lot. I wasn't exactly impressed, so no, I definitely wouldn't buy anything from them.

Last edited by cw_; 13th August 2008 at 04:49 PM.