View Single Post
Old 13th August 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlamb View Post
OpenSolaris?
My, my!
IMVHO "they" killed (Open)Solaris.
That GNU-guy working on Indiana could let Sun abandon the SXDE (developer's editions with all apps you could dream of).
Now Blastware got splitted.
If you want to run *any*Solaris, go Milax.
But few still are Solaris, just an incredible mess.
Only OpenSolaris Express edition seems to have survived.
For how long ?
Not me on xxx86 production machines.
SXDE was abandoned because the focus has switched to community-based development. Features will be actively merged from SXCE to the Solaris release and OpenSolaris. As you should know, Solaris is about longer release cycles while OpenSolaris aims for shorter ones.

As for the comment about Indiana, I think you're referring to the lack of configurability in that distribution that has bothered me too, but custom distribution sets are a feature for the upcoming 2008.11 installer. So, I think that'll be a big step forward.

In the end, if the customizability and availability of software improve, then OpenSolaris will be an awesome operating system. Also, I don't like the idea of distributions, so I will not try Milax or Nexenta or Schillix or whatever.