View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjustjjjay View Post
i install proftpd...
At one time, ProFTP was officially ported to OpenBSD's ports tree, but it is no longer active or present in the tree. I don't see any evidence since 2007. In searching both the official misc@ & ports@ mailing lists, no mention is made as to why it was removed, but some anecdotal comments can be found questioning how well the code base had been audited. I also found configuration questions similar to yours. If you check the ports tree directly or through third party tools such as http://openports.se, an abundance of FTP server alternatives are still present in the ports tree, & OpenBSD has its own (audited) ftp(1) & sftp(1) servers part of the base installation.

sftp(1) has the advantage over classic FTP servers in that passwords are not sent as cleartext over the wire.

The general convention on the official mailing lists is that users wanting to port third-party applications to OpenBSD in which an officially sanctioned port is not already present are pretty much on their own. We here at this site tend to follow the same rule-of-thumb, however if someone wants to speak up from experience, they are certainly welcomed to do so.

Likewise, in looking at ProFTP's Website, I do see where they claim to support OpenBSD, however, I find no further information. It is not uncommon for third-party sites to announce support for OpenBSD & then let verification languish over several versions. Given that I find no mention of what version number ProFTP claims compatibility, I would be skeptical.

If I do have a recommendation, I would steer you towards looking at OpenBSD's ftp(1) & sftp(1) servers. You may also want to peruse the ports tree for other alternatives. Otherwise, if you want to use ProFTP, you may want to contact ProFTP's developers or community to determine what is needed for running on OpenBSD.