View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th August 2008
New User

Default Looking for FreeBSD PS Developer

Hello

edit: please read my 2nd post on this thread for a more in depth description of the project

I am here on my own accord representing a World of Warcraft private server who is in need of a person efficient in FreeBSD to join our team. I figure if there's any place to look for a person who can help, this is it. Let me say first off that I am not fluent in FreeBSD so if I make fallacies in the following, forgive my ignorance.

Let me just give a little history about us:

We were founded in early June of this year. All the members of our staff came from another server called AniWoW. The owner of this server was inactive and moody.. often disappearing for a few weeks at a time. Eventually he said he was selling AniWoW to a 'mystery buyer'. There was no date on when this buyer would reveal himself, and weeks dragged on. People became curious.

The staff was affected of course and began to talk about it. They were frustrated that the server was doing so well and they wanted to know if they were going to be able to keep working on it or not. One of them had said "[Ex-owner] can bite me" and this resulted in 12 people partaking in the conversation getting banned. 12 of his best and most loyal staff who had spent time making that server better for now, nothing. He ended up saying that he had made up the owner and that he wanted a fresh start so he banned them all -- he is still the owner to this day, 3 months later.

So spawned HonorWoW which is us. Our owner, Demandred, is a 26 year old salesman who could pay for the 2 WoW server's monthly cost in half a day, and we got a great deal too. The problem was our 2 devs turned the server into their playground and people were not happy. Things got worse and eventually we moved on from them. Demandred has since disappeared. Coincidentally, his host shut down and we were left completely without a server.

We now pay for the server on a new host as a team. Our community is smaller but tight knit. Should you want to work with us - you will have great times in the community if you wish.

We have a data center in North America where we get a deal for 50$ a month, we can run a 300 player server on FreeBSD coding. You will never be asked to pay one cent. We have a dedicated European dev (fully fluent in english) who is on usually around here and there from 8am-7pm. Our servers are up and our dev, Memorex, is in the process of installing the necessary framework for the WoW server.

If you are interested heres a few things -
  • Have a project attitude coming into it
  • Be able to work as a team
  • Competent in freeBSD, knowing how to apply it to WoW servers would be appreciated but not necessary if you are knowledgeable
  • Be able to be active in communication with the rest of the staff / community (but we can take care of the community if you'd like to just work with staff)

Well that's about it. If you're interested, E-mail me at here, or post here, or PM me on the forums.

Thanks very much
Mark

Last edited by Slyshadow; 6th August 2008 at 02:43 AM.