View Single Post
Old 16th November 2008
UNIX lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
cabal, CrossOver Office/Mac/Games is not a fork of WINE. It's a commercial product based on WINE that the company that sponsors and hosts much of WINE development develops and sells. What CrossOver Office/Mac/Games has WINE gets first because the first is just a specialized version of the latter.
If I take the sourcecode, tweak it, shake it, do some magic on it, develop it in a different direction (e.g. Crossover Office) - then I would call it a fork. There are enough examples. Where ends the specialized version, where begins the fork? The same was true e.g. for BSD/OS and the rest of the free BSDs. How many code do they have to change to call it actually a fork? And employing some Wine developers makes the difference? What about Apple developers with FreeBSD commit-bit? Call it whatever you want, I did just name it that way because of a different direction in development. Maybe Winex/Cedega is more of a fork then Crossover and seeing the controversy back since the beginning of Wine, then yes - but I think this is very offtopic, so just yield some fuzzy-logic on the term 'fork' and take it as 'so-so fork' ;-)