Thread: cyphertite!
View Single Post
Old 1st June 2011
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Nice, really nice, the only thing left is to have some basic core as open source for all usage patterns, like VirtualBox (I already whined about that earlier), but I understand if that do not happen, writing software costs ...
howdy vermaden!

we are working towards a self-contained version of the backend that can be run locally, so i believe we are heading towards the core functionality you speak of.

Quote:
If 'they' have such functional core, then they only need to write needed clients for backup of various systems (VMware ESX/vSphere using VCB Proxy, Exchange, MS SQL, Oracle including RAC/DataGuard and other such systems in single and cluster variants).
there's quite a bit of work involved in creating a proper port of cyphertite to windows. once that's out of the way we can handle most of what you describe above using VSS on windows systems and the corresponding snapshotting facilities on other OSes.

Quote:
Also creating a backup server in cluster mode is also essential for many enterprise environments, also support for various tape libraries I think.

Wish them good luck with their project.
VTL support is beyond the scope of what we're aiming at for the time being, but our backend that people are backing up to now is indeed clustered. thus the drive to have more people test the service.

interested to hear any further input you guys have.

cheers,
jake

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
done
I wanted to expand on the chat with Marco a bit...

Cyphertite is not only for the "practical paranoids". Cyphertite is for anyone interested in a secure, efficient, and offsite backup solution. Cyphertite and our online backup service were designed with security as a top priority. The data is encrypted before it leaves your computer and we never see your passwords used for data encryption. That means we could never see your data even if we wanted to. What is stored on our servers amounts to meaningless bits without your password, and only you will ever see that password.

Let us know or post back if you would like any other features explained.

Last edited by vermaden; 1st June 2011 at 08:16 PM.