View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd July 2009
Shell Scout

I think the problem may even more specifically come from the package "xorg-driver-fglrx", which is installed automatically when I try to install the radeon driver. I suspect this because if the radeon driver is present, but not used in xorg.conf (using driver "VESA" there instead), my system refuses to boot.

If I uninstall "xorg-driver-fglrx", using driver "radeon" in xorg.conf, my system boots but I get the runaway XOrg process (> 95% CPU as seen in top).

Similarly if the package "xorg-driver-fglrx" is installed and I use the radeon driver in xorg.conf, my system does not boot completely.

The only way I can currently get my system to boot and be semi-usable is to uninstall all the video drivers, and use the vesa driver. This is of course not even close to sub-optimal, as it loads at 640x480.

I have attached the Xorg.0.log and dmesg outputs from each of three conditions; running the vesa driver (radeon uninstalled completely), running the vesa driver (radeon installed but not used in xorg.conf), running the radeon driver.

I welcome any insight anyone may have on this. Bonus points for anyone who can explain why on earth kubuntu also decided to trash my wife's login account on my laptop.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dmesg.070109.driverinstalled.txt (37.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: txt dmesg.070109.radeoncfg.txt (37.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: txt dmesg.070109.txt (37.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.070109.driverinstalled.txt (39.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.070109.radeoncfg.txt (24.2 KB, 79 views)
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.070109.txt (42.8 KB, 80 views)