View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2009
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahlsner View Post
I've réinstalled 5.0-amd64.
Next, settings for ./.profile and ./.cshrc.
Installation of gnome by pkg_add gnome-session. Always problems : pointer locked, and connexion not possible (repeat, iterative, as false identification)
Have experienced ftp -a, and browse some ftp servers.
After, installation of lynx by pkg_add : very good!
I've not found the config file for X; not found X11.
I wanted to set the protocole of the mouse, as "auto" or "PS2".
Good to hear you've had some progress. Text browsers, such as lynx, can be very useful in the early stages of setting up a system.

About gnome specifically, I do not know anything, but it sounds to me likely (until proven otherwise) that you are having a problem getting X set up. Video access problems often seem to be a good way to bring a system to its knees. It would be good to focus on X itself first, step by step from the start, and worry about gnome at the end.

You will need to set up an xorg.conf file. Do you know what video card and chipset you have? Did you get Xorg working under OpenBSD on the same machine before? There are two ways to try to get xorg.conf set up automatically, at least in part:

(i) use xorgconfig(1). Please see the man page, it is short. This method will ask you questions, so you need to know about your hardware.

(ii) use Xorg(1) with the "-configure" flag. Again see the man page. This will try to auto-detect your hardware and write a configuration file (which you must put in a place and with a name where X will find it).

The file can be put in various places, I put mine in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Also note that generally NetBSD 5.0.1 has two parallel X trees, with names X11R6 and X11R7. If you have a default install I think the X11R6 tree will be an empty skeleton (just directories, no files).

About configuring Xorg, it may be worthwhile to start off simply at first if you continue to have problems with (i) and (ii) above. E.g., you could try a basic vesa(4) video driver to get things going. This would allow you to configure your mouse etc. Only once the rest is working, put the cowboy boots back on and try to find and fine-tune a butt-kick video mode.

Also, look at the NetBSD website here about setting up Xorg. There's lots of good info there. Good luck.