View Single Post
Old 14th August 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
It is telling us that sd0 is not attached to the kernel. I recommend doing your diagnostics from the console, not from an X window, so that you will be sure to see (or not see) kernel messages as they occur, and avoid confusing yourself.

Until now i used only xterm and i haven't learnt another way for diagnostics.((If by console you mean xterm then what's 'X window'?)Moving from Ubuntu to OBSD is like suddenly diving to deep waters.Truth is i like it because it offers a lot of knowledge that it's -if not impossible- really difficult to obtain when using other OSes.I might learn things the 'hard' way but once learnt something,it's not going to be forgotten."And knowledge is power" especially in OBSD.

Quote:
Note that above, the bottom of your dmesg shows an sd0 attaching, and then being detached. Sit at the console and watch for messages as you attach your external device.

That happens just because that's what i did; i was trying attaching/detaching to see if it would work but it failed.

Quote:
Sit at the console and watch for messages as you attach your external device.
Code:
$ dmesg | tail 
ugen0 at uhub4 port 2 "STMicroelectronics Biometric Coprocessor" rev 1.00/0.01 addr 2
vscsi0 at root
scsibus0 at vscsi0: 256 targets
softraid0 at root
root on wd0a swap on wd0b dump on wd0b
umass0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "JMicron USB to ATA/ATAPI bridge" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 2
umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus1 at umass0: 2 targets, initiator 0
sd0 at scsibus1 targ 1 lun 0: <ST2000DL, 001-9VT156, > SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd0: 1907729MB, 4096 bytes/sec, 488378646 sec total
That's the only thing i see when attaching the hard disk.And i see only a c partition on disklabel.