Thread: Missing suEXEC
View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2010
Port Guard

I have tried the "make build deinstall install clean -DWITH_SUEXEC" and the suexec (binary) module is not created or incorporated in the mix.

I have found a /usr/ports/www/apache22/Makefile.options file that contains a list of enable switches for various mods. The last two mods address SUEXEC and CGID. These two were defaulted to OFF, and I have changed the same to ON (as follows):

OPTIONS+= \
AUTH_BASIC "Enable mod_auth_basic" ON \
~
~ (et.al.)
~
SSL "Enable mod_ssl" ON \
SUEXEC "Enable mod_suexec" ON \
CGID "Enable mod_cgid" ON \

Apparently (from what I've read), the Makefile.options file is a repository for specifying inclusion of various mods such as SUEXEC, in a list, rather than having to specify (for example) -DWITH_SUEXEC on the submitted command line. (QUESTION: Regarding the latter scenario, what is the significance of the -D . . .I can't find any help or man information regarding the switch(s).)

It appears that the make process is ignoring the directives in the Makefile.options file. QUESTION: How is the make process instructed to use the Makefile.options file. Makefile.doc contains the following comment:
## Available knobs:
## WITHOUT_APACHE_OPTIONS:
## Don't use OPTIONS and will allow you to use
## those knobs directly to select modules.
## Knobs with (*) are working only if
## WITHOUT_APACHE_OPTIONS is defined.
QUESTIONS: Is "WITHOUT_APACHE_OPTIONS" to be specified somewhere as WITH or WITHOUT? If so, then what is the command syntax?

I can't find a clear read of the purpose of, or otherwise how to use knobs (The last time I wrote a major project Makefile was late 1980's or early '90's . . .and that was on SVR3 AT&T Unix running on a NCR Motoroloa 68000 processor); regardless, "knobs is knew" to me . Googling around, all I can find is tutorials on how to write Makefiles . . .not how to specify syntax for using, i.e., including the Makefile.options file.