View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th July 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightweaver View Post
I had similar problems with FreeBSD 7. It would freeze for no apparent reason I thought. Then I figured out that when I turn off DBUS, HAL and related services this would stop. I've switched to OpenBSD on my laptop now so I don't have those problems any more and I can't go deeper into debugging but I wanted to share this observation.
DBUS and HAL aren't included in the base system. So, that's only a possibility if you installed them via ports. Come to think of it, DBUS and HAL did exacerbate the poor situation with my hard drive at that time, causing even more random crashes. DBUS and HAL works great for me now that my hard drives have been replaced, but my previous experience and Nightweaver's experience suggest that they may be causing some issues. Check any related configuration files, but first and foremost, disable those services and test your install.

Testing RAM is also important here. I'd try the suggestion about services first and move on from there.

I thought /tmp and /var/tmp were not dumped during a crash or ever unless the option was specifically specified in rc.conf. You might have a poke around /tmp or /var/tmp. Also, is VLC a common denominator in all your crashes. I've had issues where mplayer wasn't configured properly and cause repeated crashes because of the output driver.