View Single Post
Old 17th October 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlm2 View Post
My ALIX box's outer network is a private network.
Then is my first picture still accurate? You are connecting from a DSL router, through your Windows machine, through to vr0 on the ALIX, and vr1 is not connected to any network? You have yet to clarify this with any text or pictures.
Quote:
Secondly what do you recommend using for routing between two port ethernet.
I do not understand this question. Based on what I believe your current "network" looks like, it appears you seem to be misunderstanding how networks interconnect.

If you want the ALIX to be a router, you must connect it to two or more separate networks. The only connection between those two networks is ... the ALIX.

I will repeat what I think I know, from your earlier threads. It is unclear to me if this is the configuration, because English is not your native language, and you have neither confirmed nor corrected my earlier ASCII "drawings".

• I believe you have a DSL NAT router providing a WiFi private network. On that private network is your Windows laptop.
  • I believe you have a point-to-point cable between the laptop and the ALIX vr0 NIC.
  • I believe you have no wiring connected to the vr1 NIC. Or, if you do, it is incorrectly wired, since your ifconfig output showed no physical connection.
Is any thing I believe correct? If so, please confirm this.
Is anything I believe wrong? If so, please correct me.

Since words are difficult, please post an ASCII diagram, like the ones I have posted. Show how things are connected now, and, how you want them connected in the future.

Because ....

If you want the ALIX system to act as some sort of firewall, it must sit between the Internet and the system you wish protected ... your laptop. If what I believe is correct, it is not (yet) doing so.
Quote:
The third thing I still do not see how I implement dhcp server on vr1, of course I want that vr1 assigns an address to my laptop.
  1. You must have a valid dhcpd.conf; it is not clear to me you have that.
  2. You must have a physical network attached to vr1; without it, the dhcp server will never receive any requests.
But, since I believe you already have an Ethernet between the laptop and the ALIX, using vr0; what purpose does vr1 serve? Do you have a spare NIC on the laptop to connect to vr1?
Quote:
Can I just give a static address to the network card on my laptop, and a static address to vr1 port Without need to use dhcp server configuration.
Yes, but first, you must have a valid network design. I do not believe you have that, yet.

It appears to me that you need to start by clearly stating what it is you want to accomplish. Then, perhaps we can help you build a network designed to provide that.

At the moment, it looks to me like you are having trouble with basic concepts, because your physical network layout does not appear to provide any value. If what I believe is correct. I still do not know.
  • Your laptop connects to the Internet via WiFi, through your DSL router. The ALIX platform cannot get between the laptop and the DSL router's WiFi connection.
  • The ALIX platform could protect your laptop if the Laptop were to use wired Ethernet instead of Wifi. The ALIX outer network could connect to the DSL router's inner network, and then the ALIX inner network could connect to the Laptop's wired NIC.
Please, create some pictures for us.