View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2009
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscurochu View Post
I would like to use ....., flash player, webcam ..., wireless (Broadcom BCM4312 built in wireless),

This means you should likely be using Windows XP.

All the other programs you mentioned are basically available natively, even Cheese. The flash player plugin requires use of the Linux ABI but may be used with native Firefox - however YMMV when it comes to the end result of using various versions of flash on BSD. Broadcom is as far as I know a very poor choice of kit with open source unix systems due to issues with the hardware vendor. My only personal experience is with the Broadcom paper weight built into my laptop, buying a PC card that works with BSD however is a trivial affair if you know how to shop.

You can go to http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ and search the site in a varity of ways to see what software is available without having an installed ports tree to work with. You can also look at the various mirrors of ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ and see what binary packages are available. Most software that requires the Linux ABI will contain linux in the port/pkg name and will always list linux dependencies that makes it otherwise obvious.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.