View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th May 2008
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Sure. You're right, it could be the "twister" since multiple cards cause a freeze. But it could be anything. I have two suggestions:
yea.. i never tried both cards at once, tho. so it's not that.

Quote:
1. You might be able to use ddb(4) to determine where your system is hanging. This requires both the sysctl ddb.console set to 1, and the ability to use the ddb debugger.
i'm a developer, so i uhh, know my way around debuggers (cough) and i'd actually like to try this one.

Quote:
2. You might consider updating firmware on that NIC. Searching the misc@ archives for the ISL3874A had several threads that discussed firmware. Those threads were from 2006 or earlier, and all of them seemed to talk about firmware newer than yours, which is at 1.4.9. Of course, this might not help since you seem to have the same problem with a ral(4) card. Of course, if *it* has out-of-date firmware too ....
i upgraded..

wi0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0 "Intersil PRISM2.5" rev 0x01: irq 3
wi0: PRISM2.5 ISL3874A(Mini-PCI) (0x8013), Firmware 1.1.1 (primary), 1.8.2 (station), address 00:02:6f:4a:d0:24

.. same problem. i tried a linux live cd and that didn't seem to have any problem with it. so it appears to be an openbsd issue. i'd like to try freebsd but the cd won't boot at all. not sure what's up with that. but i didn't push the issue.