View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2011
Administrator

Although your message was similar to the thread in which you replied, your needs are most likely different from the OP. Because of this, your message has been split off into its own thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
what's the most safest way to run -current if I only got one pc!
Section 5.1 points out some of the issues users of -current should consider as it is implied that -current users understand there are some risks involved. If you don't feel you can live with the risks, don't run -current.

Having said that, make frequent backups, so any error causes by the snapshot does not cause a catastrophic loss of data.
Quote:
do I wait for snaps?
This is the only form available for -current. Section 5.3.2 covers your options.
Quote:
do I bug every one about how was a snap?
Snapshots for some platforms (like i386 & amd64...) change daily -- sometimes hourly. There is no guarantee that a snapshot downloaded at this moment will be available 30 minutes from now.

Given that -current is the location for fresh development, it is surprisingly stable in comparison to other projects. Yes, I personally have run into occasional issues which were resolved by installing a later snapshot, but any pain or inconvenience which might be associated with re-installing can be minimized by creating a good install.site script. Likewise, anyone running -current should seriously consider reading the misc@ & source-changes@ mailing lists on a regular basis.
Quote:
do I do not use a snap at all, and keep it to -stable?
What's your goal? What makes you believe that running -stable or -current addresses your concerns?

Last edited by ocicat; 4th May 2011 at 10:37 PM.