View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th February 2010
Banned

I've been programming a lot of Action Script 3.0 these last three years. I've used Ruby on Rails as the back end, but found Rails easy while Ruby was a thorn in my side the whole time. To be honest, Ruby rocks, but it's too abstract for me right now. The conventions in the language are constantly throwing me off because of my background being Java Script, Java, AS3 which all three are so similar if you can program one, picking up the other two is very straight forward.

Python is like roddierod said bringing some of the joy I've lost in programming back. My first attempts to program on my own were with Basic on the Commodore 64. Python works like it should. Ruby would call this principle the principle of least suprise. I like Python better than ruby and wish rails ran on Python, which is why I was seriously taking a look at Django.

I've spent a few times trying socket programming with C. Still, C isn't second nature to me. Neither is Python. Not the way AS3 is. I'd like to get at last 1 scripting language down second nature. And, get C down second nature. Then, I feel I will really be in a good place programming wise. I don't like making programs in a language that isn't like an extension of my mind b/c I feel like I'm debugging all the time. When you've got a language down second nature, you feel the force flowing through your system and it's almost a spiritual transcendental experience. I know all you guys who have at least one langauge down second nature know that feeling.