View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st February 2012
More noise than signal

@daemonfowl, since you are attempting to build the entire ports tree, along with whatever errors you might be having now .... you will have conflicts between installed packages and packages you are trying to build and install. There are any number of packages that intentionally have conflicts, and install files with the exact same file names -- and pkg_add(8) will not install where there are conflicts. As an example I'm familiar with, you cannot have both x11/xfce4/notification-daemon-xfce and x11/xfce4/xfce4-notifyd installed at the same time. You will find you cannot have two flavors of the same package installed at the same time, yet both might be needed as dependencies for different ports downstream.

This means that your attempt to "make install clean" from the ports top level directory will never succeed.

Now that I've provided you with some additional information -- can you determine, on your own, what make target you should use in order to bulk build the entire tree? And, are there any environment variables that might also be helpful to you?

I am attempting to teach you how to fish, rather than placing a plate of seafood in front of you.