Thread: OpenBSD changes
View Single Post
Old 10th September 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpatrick View Post
Your attitude is exactly why others think the FreeBSD community is more friendly and inviting.
I did not mean it to be taken as unfriendly; for that I apologize. I meant it to mean that a) I can't convince you of anything, b) so I'm not going to try, and c) you are welcome to use other systems as you see fit.

As for your question on Zones:
  • It is my opinion that virtualization may be of consolidation value when hardware resources -- processors, memory, I/O channels, I/O devices -- can be dedicated to guests.
  • It is my opinion that virtualization may be of consolidation value when different operating systems are deployed as guests.
  • It is my opinion that virtualization is of limited consolidation value when the guests OSes are the same and hardware resources are shared.
  • Virtualization gives the appearance of system isolation. Virtual machines (Zones, LPARs, Domains, Jails, Guests...) do not run in complete isolation. Virtualization introduces an additional layer of software (or hardware or firmware or a combination of all three) and there are always risks of activity of one virtual machine affecting the host environment or affecting other virtual machines. And there is a risk from bugs, of course.
That's just my opinion, for whatever it may be worth. It's informed only from being involved with virtualization technologies since the 1970s: as a user and administrator of them, as a solutions architect for them, and as a vendor of them.

Can you implement a production virtualization scheme? Sure. Can you do so with OpenBSD? As a guest, yes, with a limited set of hypervisors. (Virtualized hosting is limited to chroot or emulators.)

Is virtualization with OpenBSD of value? Of course, but not, I believe, for consolidation, unless it is to consolidate with non OpenBSD OSes.

Have I personally deployed virtualization for consolidation? Yes. Did I dedicate hardware? Yes, for production platforms. Have I ever used shared hardware in production? Yes. I've implemented shared CPUs with dedicated RAM and I/O, where min and max CPU usage could be allocated. I've had mixed performance results with shared CPUs. I've also deployed shared hardware solutions with virtual machines in non-production, such as for laboratories, QA networks, and development environments.
Quote:
In fact, daemonfowl would not recevie the comments in their forum from their members in the way that you come down on him.
I have tried to be polite -- but I am not always successful. I've tried very hard not to be rude, though I am human and I get frustrated and sometimes angry when there is miscommunication or when communication fails entirely. I've apologized to him. And I'll apologize again when it happens again.

Last edited by jggimi; 10th September 2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: typos, clarity