View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2008
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
I know how the Virtual Infrastructure software works, and regardless of how it abstracts information, you are trying to utilize the two cores that you've specified for the software.

You are a point release behind in the 6 branch. FreeBSD 6.3 was release months ago, and FreeBSD 6.4 is about to be released according to the mailing list. Furthermore, the latest release in 7.0 stable, which includes massive amounts of SMP work as well as a new scheduler called ULE, which was designed to improve SMP performance and scalability. In 7.0, ULE is a kernel tunable, not the default. The team wanted to do more testing, but it is the default in the Stable branch in preparation for 7.1, which will be released around the same time as 6.4. I don't know the state of SMP in the 6 branch, but I'd advise you to move to 7.0, if SMP is a real concern of yours. It's what I use, and -j20 works. I'm not going to argue if it's safe or not. Multiple threads always carry a risk because dependent threads may complete before the ones they depend on.
it seems like you are taking offense what I'm saying or telling you. I'm not really sure why. thanks for the info on 7.0 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
FreeBSD 6.2 scales good only within 2 CPUs, use FreeBSD 7.x for 3++ cores:
http://blog.insidesystems.net/articl...on-6-2-and-7-0
thanks for the additional info on 7.x. i doubt i will upgrade again as a VM that was previously running on four cores is running just fine on one bigger core. i am guessing it will be the same for this VM even though it is much busier. the only reason i upgraded in the first place is because 6.1B4(what i was running previously, more of a hybrid 6.1B4 and 6.1 release actually) doesn't include the proper drivers to run under ESX. 6.2 does and thus, this thread began.