#3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th November 2010
New User

Quote:
First of all, welcome to our community.
Thank you. Pleasure to be here.

You recommend:

Quote:
While the OpenBSD developers will be interested in errors found in OpenBSD-release (the code tagged in August...), the first question they will ask is what is the corresponding behavior seen at the head of the tree (-current). Before raising the flag of "bug", the immediate question to answer is whether ongoing work -current has already resolved this problem. Since most likely the developers don't have your hardware, the best immediate action you can take is to install a snapshot of -current yourself to verfiy whether the same behavior exists.
I did check -current via Web CVS, and libdrm was last touched three months ago, and has the same version number that I do. I infer from that that -current would show the same behavior. Installing a snapshot would certainly be a valuable learning experience, but it seems a bit premature for me, and not likely to contribute to a solution of the immediate problem. Have I misunderstood something?

Oh, and as to "bug" ... the impression I have is that the bug is not in code written by the OpenBSD devs, but code written by someone else and ported to OpenBSD. I assume that a version upgrade in due course will fix it. For the record, I do not expect the devs to accomodate me by doing this ahead of whatever the regular schedule might be (or, indeed, at all if it's not a priority for them).

Quote:
Many Linux projects give the illusion that compiling resolves problems. While compiling may need to done by someone at some point (even if indirectly by installing a snapshot of -current...), the OpenBSD project tends to focus on understanding the problem before blindly jumping into activities which are time-consuming.
If I have interpreted the information in my original post properly (and if not, I would be glad of correction on specific points I've misunderstood), OpenBSD ports libdrm in from somewhere else (not sure if it's freedesktop or intellinuxgrapics), and the problem has been understood and solved by one of those projects. I understand that the development process has lag time, and I'm certainly not asking anyone to give my problem any priority, just looking tor things that I myself might do.

Now, playing with code rather than just putting in a video card is rather ... adventurous, perhaps? But is it wrong, under the circumstances?

Quote:
Verifying on -current is time better spent.
If the code in -current hasn't changed, is that still so? If so, how so?

Again, though I certainly need to learn to build a system from -current at some point, I don't see how that is less time-consuming, under the circumstances, than learning to compile some specific driver ... though of course there are no guarantees about that either.

Not intending to argue, just trying to understand. Thanks for your observations.

regards,

Svejk