View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Ok, the 1.6.0 VBox is a bit messed up actually. If you use bridged networking, you are very likely to have an issue, although you have a better chance of it working if you are running Hardy.

I usually run it on RH based systems, and starting vboxdrv and vboxnet from /etc/init.d/ do the trick. If you're in the vboxusers group (don't forget, once you add yourself, you have to log out and log back in for it to take effect) you should have permissions on /dev/vboxdrv--it's 660 for root:vboxusers.
Could you have forgotten to add yourself to the vboxuser group, or done what I tend to do and forgot to log out and log back in?
@disi, I'm no VBox expert, but that error seems to be more of permissions on the /dev/vboxdrv than the module not being there. In Ubuntu IIRC, I think it might have loaded and kept the module there--I don't recollect having to do a modprobe on it. Right now, on one machine, I'm running subversion, but that's a special case--libs and binaries are contained in a $HOME/vbox directory, though the module does go into /usr/modules.

I repeat, however, that if you used bridged networking, and judging from what I've seen on Vbox forums, even, at times, with the default NAT networking, there have been isuses with 1.6.0. It's fixed according to the developer who posted on the thread, but the fix isn't present till 1.6.2--that was according to his post, subversion, at the time I got it, was 1.6.1 and worked without issues.