View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2012
Port Guard

Default How often do people upgrade their OBSDs ?

Hello all.
Today I'd like to discuss the need of upgrading the system to the next release. So, this thread is not an urgent matter, I just want to listen to your's opinions.

All of us heard such a point of view - something like if the server works fine, don't touch it, don't modify it.

If to compare OpenBSD with some GNU/Linux systems, there are some changes in the way, in the philocophy of the upgrade process. Just remember Debian/Ubuntu 'apt-get update && apt-get upgrade'. And even Slackware, being rather 'nerdish', offers an easy way for installing updates and for next-release upgrade with the 'slackpkg' tool.

OpenBSD is another case, to my mind. Each upgrade instruction tells us about some new modifications in the system, in the PF, in startup scripts and the whole process seems to be more complicated than the same one in the Linux world.

So, I wonder do all of you upgrade your systems? Or there are many cases when older releases still do their work well, 4.6 for example, or even 3.x ones? Just applying security fixes...