View Single Post
Old 27th June 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
Did you try changing the device in the ps2pcl script?
I had not. I will try the hl7x0 driver and then the pxlcolor driver. Thank you for that tip.
Quote:
I even got a blinking light on my printer meaning it was warming up to print but nothing ever printed (had this with CUPS and even using the lpd instruction from brother and there binary driver).
Yep. I have an LCD display which either lights up or otherwise displays it is receiving data (forever). Depends on which of the many broken methods I've tried which I get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
If you haven't been driven nuts yet you could also break the task into smaller parts:
1. Hook printer directly to usb and work out print cap.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I am certain that the issue is not networking per se. I can reach the device with Telnet -- the service list in the top post came from a Telnet session. Also, tcpdump shows end to end conversations via TCP port 515 or 9100. All that stated, the problem source could just be a bug in the printer's control program, where incoming WiFi traffic for LPD or Jet Direct is just dropped. We have plenty of systems that print via WiFi connection via proprietary driver or proprietary Android app. Even so, I will attempt a direct connection to rule WiFi out as a possibilty.