View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th November 2017
More noise than signal

In most cases, -stable updates to OpenBSD ports are proposed and submitted by the port's maintainer, or, if there is no maintainer of record, then by anyone willing to develop them.

If you note an application of interest to you has had CVEs that have been resolved but there has not been an updated port posted to the ports@ mailing list, you are welcome to contact the maintainer. [1] The maintainer may not be aware of the update. If there is no maintainer, you are welcome to develop the appropriate port update and submit a patch set to the mailing list for consideration.

Generally, updates to an application will not qualify for -stable backporting, unless the update addresses one or more CVEs. [2]

---

[1] One of my ports, devel/codeblocks, was broken at 6.2-release due to the mass transition from the gcc to clang compiler. I had proposed a circumvention reverting to the gcc compiler, which was rejected. Another OpenBSD user pointed me to a fix from FreeBSD which I was completely unaware of. I applied the fix from FreeBSD to the OpenBSD port, and posted the patch sets for -current and -stable. The -current patch was committed.

[2] The -stable patch was not committed, so M:Tier will not build it. Any -release/-stable users would have to pull my patch from the ports@ archives and build locally to obtain a working codeblocks application.

Last edited by jggimi; 29th November 2017 at 09:34 PM. Reason: clarity