View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th March 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paran0iaX View Post
I just got a dedicated server with OpenBSD on it and I need to set up nameservers (just the minimum 2).
  • Given previous discussion, is your goal to expose this box to the Internet? If so, have you secured a static IP address from an ISP? If you simply have rotating DHCP addresses, setting up your own DNS servers will not allow you to access this box from elsewhere on the Internet, however, there are services which will monitor DHCP leases & modify their tables accordingly. An example is DynDNS:

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

I don't have experience this bunch, but there may be others who do.
  • Secondly, setting up DNS server(s) is only part of the equation. Have you contracted with some other entity (ie. ISP) to point to your server(s)? DNS is predicated on other registered servers pointing to your registered server(s).
  • Likewise, if your goal is to set up a secure tunnel, IPSec, or VPN connection, you will need to verify that you can do what you are envisioning with a DHCP address if that is what you have. If you have a static IP, that's another story; you can do anything you want, but you also will be paying for it.
Setting up DNS servers of your own means that you will be taking on their care & feeding yourself. Given that you previously mentioned that you have little networking experience, setting up a permanent presence on the Internet seems to be an ambitious move, hence the questions.

Last edited by ocicat; 12th March 2009 at 11:01 PM.