View Single Post
Old 13th March 2009
Spam Deminer

Well it's good to hear the bug has bitten you- to be sure, OpenBSD is no easy road compared to other operating systems, but it is rewarding. If you are truly interested in diving in, then it behooves you to learn not only the technical aspects of the project, but the philosophical aspects as well.

There is a community and distinct culture wrapped around OpenBSD, starting with Theo De Raadt (founder and project leader), and moving on down. The community is an odd one- abuse and harassment awaits the noob who does not demonstrate critical thinking skills when approaching the community with a problem. But this is the cost of belonging to a developer community that develops for itself only- the quality of the code is extremely high, but the community patience level is almost non-existent. Join the misc@openbsd.org mailing list and peruse the archives at marc.info and you will quickly see what I mean. I would consider this forum to be much more friendly, but this is AFAIK a users-only site.

So, now that all fair warning has been given- welcome! Remember, try to thoroughly research your issue when phrasing any questions - go here for proper etiquette-

http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=596

On your particular issue, a road-warrior setup will need to redial in when the connection is broken (which on most software can be programmed to autoredial) and on the static tunnel, you're right the new address would need to be programmed in. But this is what I'm saying about dynamic DNS- if the setup can use domain names instead of IP addresses then you can have your dynDNS domain name point to the new address and re-establish the tunnel (with a small script of course.)