View Single Post
Old 19th November 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
... I'm asking how secure (or insecure - I hope not ) that is and what else I can do to make it really secure?
Since you have secured the network with WPA2, then disabling the SSID broadcast and MAC address filters are merely annoyances for you if you ever want to add more computers. "Disabling" the SSID broadcast does not disable all the signals it sends out so people still can see your network (many wireless cracking programs find it automagically). MAC addresses are always sent "in the clear" which means there is no encryption, so anyone who can even get one packet off your wireless communications between yourself and the router will know your MAC address and be able to clone it.

That being said, WPA2 at least right now, is only able to be cracked through brute force, so if you have a very strong key, I would say you are good to go. Of course, if you like experimenting, setting up OpenBSD with authpf and ipsec is always a fun weekend project for an alternative method of securing your router....

Cheers,

Alphalutra1