View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th November 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronForge View Post
Q1: So, you're saying that the most direct way to "install -current" is to install46.iso (and similar install media from primary/secondary mirrors from e.g.,ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386/) - correct?
Any snapshot installation media (cd*.iso, floppy*.fs, etc.). The site need not be the main server, as most of the major mirrors have the snapshots, too.

Let me be clear, and say this again: It is not only the most direct method, it is also the only supported method.
Quote:
Q2: Reviewing the Install Guide, would choosing the (U)pgrade option from the -release install disk(s) accomplish the same thing?
No. The only difference between and install and an upgrade is the former reformats filesystems, and the latter prevents the *etc*.tgz file sets from being unpacked. If you use upgrade with -release filesets, you end up with a -release system.
Quote:
Q-SIDEBAR: For the New User(since most Users are Developers, and all "dev work" is done on -current), would it be prudent to suggest (to the webmaster) that FAQ Chapter 5.1 (brief explanation of -release, stable, and -current/snapshot) be referenced in Chapt4.1-2 (text and/or link to snapshot), before the User burns his/her install media?
No, most users are -not- developers. The Project developers number around 90 or so, and that number fluctuates over time. There are many thousands of users.

FAQ 4 is for the new user. It is recommended that new users start with -release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundkat View Post
If I may add some advice I received here...
Sysmerge can automate, or make semi-automatic, architectural changes that relate to configuration files located in /etc or /var. It cannot eliminate flag-days and other manual-effort changes, such as the rebuilding of config I mentioned earlier in this thread. Sysmerge is -not- a replacement for reading the Following -current FAQ, and having the commensurate skills to manage the changes.

That said, there are many people who upgrade from snapshot to snapshot, and who use sysmerge to pick up configuration file changes, and never build from source at all. And there are others who only build from source to stay -current.

What works for one environment may not work for another. I have a laptop that I used to upgrade from snap to snap, using mergemaster (the precursor to sysmerge), and still conduct binary upgrades, but with releases I build myself.

I also have a server that has never had anything but builds from source since its 3.5-current snapshot installation more than 5 years ago. It still runs -current built from regularly from sources; the latest rebuild on that platform was over the weekend to pick up the NULL pointer dereference patch.

Why did I stop using snap-to-snap upgrades on that laptop? I did not want uncommitted patches, which are often included with snapshots to give them broad testing prior to committment. Why do I do source builds on that server? The configuration requires a custom kernel, and I need a build machine for the releases (snapshots, really) I make, anyway, so this server is my build machine.

----

There is no single solution that fits all needs, which is why we have choices. But we should use supported management methods, if we want developers to support our use of their software.

Last edited by jggimi; 5th November 2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: typo, clarity