Thread: OpenBSD Newbie!
View Single Post
Old 16th July 2013
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorix View Post
I am still trying to grasp the reason why that guy suggested d/ling all those packages. Either unskilled or a troll... Sadly the first I guess. His video didn't help me much either, I used other sources to finish what I started.
Culturally, the OpenBSD Project members and many OpenBSD users recommend avoiding all third-party "howto" documents, which would of course include Youtube videos -- at least, those which are not recordings of OpenBSD developer presentations.

Most "howto" documents you find on the Internet are made by new or relatively new users who have accomplished something and want to share it, being justifiably proud of their accomplishments. If you keep this in mind when you read them (or, on youtube, watch them), you may glean elements of value. But always, always be mindful that what you have was likely written by a relative newcomer. Commonly, this means the information presented is often out-of-date, incomplete, inaccurate, misleading, incorrect, or wrong.

I include this website in the list of third-party knowledge bearers which may provide misleading, incorrect, incomplete, or inaccurate information. We're users. We provide advice based only on our own experience and knowledge, which may be limited, and we make our recommendations on the limited information presented by another user. Yes, there are a few developers who visit from time to time, and we have a World Famous Technology Author (two books listed!) who stops by. But the active members here are almost entirely just a small community of users, not developers, and we're just trying to help each other by sharing what we consider best practices. They may not be.

The official "howto" documents are the chapters of the OpenBSD FAQ. Spending time with the FAQ will usually be very informative, and often faster than posting a question here and waiting for a reply.

Last edited by jggimi; 16th July 2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: clarity