View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th March 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
am I right to say that Tanenbaum diapproves of linux kernel because of this very issue ?
My suspicion is that you are reading what you want into Tanenbaum's statements. To understand Tanenbaum's beef is to go back & read the original newsgroup argument they had back in the early '90's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanenba...orvalds_debate

Much of their argument centered around Tanenbaum advocating microkernel design as being the next step in OS implementation while Torvalds advocated a simpler monolithic structure because it is easier to implement. Much of their debate was fueled by their respective egos, & because the feud was so public, this may have led to the rise of Linux because:
  • many OS enthusiasts read the newsgroups in which both pontificated their agendas.
  • making the Linux kernel free (as in GNU free...) enticed many to play with it since there was no charge to do so.
While Tanenbaum has a point in the links provided earlier in this thread, I also suspect he is not totally unbiased given the debate taking place twenty years ago.