View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
New User

Default 2 external NIC + 1 internal NIC

Hi all.
Recently i have upgraded my server... 2xHDD Seagate, 1 AMD SEMPRON x64 CPU, 2 GB DDR2-800 RAM, MB ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus with RAID onboard. This configuration it's more then ok for my needs.
I have installed F-BSD 7.0 amd64 whithout any problems and surprised me because recognised integrated SATA RAID controller in RAID 0 (stripping).

But the problems begin with the NIC's card. I put three NIC's into my server:
1. external 3Com 3C905B-TX with first public IP. (IP_A)
2. external 3Com 3C905B-TX with second public IP. (IP_B)
3. onboard NIC (Nvidia) with internal IP (IP_C).

I need two external NIC's because i have two separated domains and i don't like to make alias on external NIC. And for IP_B i wand to make forward to the LAN for some services.
IP_A must serve only the local servers ... like ftp, http, dns, ssh.. and so on.

PROBLEMS:

a. even if both NIC's are reported to be active by ifconfig commands, only one respond to pings from an external ip; i don't have any rule in firewall which block the icmps;
b. from LAN, both NIC's repond to pings whithout any problems;
c. i tried to setup an alias (in rc.conf i put this line: ifconfig_xl0_alias0=""inet ip_B netmask mask_for_IP_B") on the NIC that respond from WAN, but whithout results; IP_B does not respond to ping meanwhile IP_A respond very good;
d. my ISP say that both IP are functionally, with MAC addresses corectly registered;

Can anyoane help me to resolve these problems, because i'm stuck... I don't have any ideea how to... and i don't find any similar topics if i search on google.

Thank you.
Alex.