View Single Post
Old 29th May 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
Anyway, I don't know if linux is getting worse ... But I do know these threads/rants are getting worse
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
I agree, the "fisher-price"-isms are just annoying, I mean, Why do people find flashy themes and large coloured text appealing?
They sell more VISA cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
Hello,

Linux isn't getting worse - *BSD is getting better!

Now that is the mindset people need to grow hehe ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
I want vi to be vi and vim to be vim - is that too much to ask?!
This is my opinion as well... If I wanted vim, I would call for vi, although if I don't have vim I alias it to vi because I tend to type vim if I want vim, even if it's not installed >_>

Vim is a great editor but some things I find nvi works better for, like poking around the INDEX in /usr/ports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
I believe vi on FreeBSD is nvi. It really pisses of my vim-loving co-worker that he can't get vim to work the same on FreeBSD as on Linux, and that he can't figure his way around nvi. I just tell him to use ee.
Considering that I actually used Vim to learn Vi (documentation), I find that kinda odd... I guess he's to used to his ~/.vimrc hehe.

I generally expect standard vi behavior out of any setup, except my own ~/.exrc and ~/.vimrc which could be dropped to the following lines

Code:
set showmode
map ; :

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey_james View Post
Despite what you may think, vi is an important part of unix and if you don't know it you're SEVERELY disadvantaged. It's one thing you can guarantee will be on the OS.

You could always use cat or dd
Every program has it's place, you can also count on every UNIX system having /bin/ed and /usr/bin/ex.

I don't care much for ed... pisses me off when I make a typo (?), but ex is quite nice if you need to edit things without a scroll back buffer and lack an editor with support for multiple windows/buffers/files/tabs/whatevers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemera View Post
so, do BSD devs take the trouble to properly document their software because they got too much time on their hands?

btw, if you read the quote carefully you would note that their is an implicit heirarchy in the linux camp. namely: the developers are like god and users are treated like lowly mortals. BSD dev's generally are a _lot_ less pretentious.
I hate people that make you dig through source code just to find out how to use a program, at least providing a decent -h | -help | --help | /? should be mandatory.

Unless 95% of graphical programs, command line programs option switches are not always brain-dead easy to use.

I personally enjoy writing documentation in source (like Perls POD) or in a separate per-section file, but as long as someone writes decent docs !!

===

I don't have a problem with people that use bash for scripting, except when they write bash specific scripts and use #!/bin/sh like a dipstick.

I've never had any formal education in programming or computers, then again... Much less anything besides Reading, Wring and Arithmetic, maybe a little room clearing as well but you get the point ^_^

When I have a question about what I can do in a shell script, I use my main scripting shells manual page. Which is /bin/sh on FreeBSD.

Since most of my learning of Bourne Shell has been 'playful', I some times spot things in the manual or scripts that I never new were possible without upgrading to some thing more featureful like bash, korn, or ruby.

I could probably live with a Bourne shell from the day's of Version 7 or System III for scripting use if I had to, I've often thought about installing some of the older shell implementations in ports just for fun.

The relationship Linux has with GNU makes the concept Linux has bash. It's just that simple. People should probably look more at the "all linux and nothing but linux" mentality that some developers have, rather then just being bash scripters by habit ^_^.

When it comes to interactive use, all I really demand is line editing, tab completion on filenames, and command line history. So I generally prefer more modern shells ;-)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.