View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th August 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Default Mixed results

Greetings again:

I tried to go with the "/" partition only approach; but the resultant 8GB USB Drive wouldn't boot. I was successful in installing a Snapshot(Aug 24) a few days ago to a 4GB Drive I had (used the whole Drive and the automated partition arrangements. I traded in the 8GB (turns out it had some firmware I couldn't wipe) for a 16GB on sale.

I installed the Snapshot on the drive yesterday; and added some packages (OpenOffice, Mozilla-Firefox, etc). When I booted the USB this AM, Mozilla wouldn't remember the Search Engines I added(other add-ons were there); and the session froze completely.

Powering down and gave it another go; but it wouldn't boot - due to some partition problems...

I decided to reinstall and attempted to do so via ftp; but had some problems with the install process - kept dying when attempting to install the last set (Xserver). Burned another install48.iso image from today and had the same deal with the cd sets and the ftp derived sets. Burned cd48.iso and had the same results.

Various error codes include the term:
"fatal panic (6) in supervisor mode"

My questions are:
A1) Was today's snapshot a "bad build"?
A2) Could the USB have become faulty? I read Ocicat's comments regarding memtest - will look it up. I had some problems with several USB drives in the front of my old box with OBSD from time to time. IIRC, I modified the kernel (from an earlier thread - running out of time now to look up, gomen). Would it be prudent to do so?

Thanks.