Thread: Firefox 4
View Single Post
Old 26th March 2011
Spam Deminer

So as far as the history of GEM and TTM, I admit that I was wrong. TTM predates GEM. That does not imply that GEM will replace TTM. I've seen no indication that the radeon driver developers plan on making that switch and seen plenty to indicate that they do not plan on making that switch. If you can show some solid evidence to the contrary, I will concede that point.

As for everything else you say... Well, that's just utter rubbish. Mesa 7.7.1 was released in March of 2010, just under a year ago. How is that 2 weeks away from bleeding edge?

This is two weeks away from bleeding edge:

Code:
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RV770 9442) 20090101  TCL
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.11-devel
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
Mesa has been able to do OpenGL 2.1 on the r600 driver since August of last year. Mind you, it still only works properly with KMS enabled.

So, now, where are you getting your information?

So, yes, I stand by my statements that the open source drivers on Linux are more capable than they are on FreeBSD. Both in general, and specifically when it comes to the topic of WebGL. Don't believe me?

HD4850 on Slackware -current:

http://picpaste.com/pics/webgl-linux_1.1301151644.png

And now on FreeBSD:

http://picpaste.com/pics/webgl-freebsd.1301151701.png

In both cases, I'm using the r600 driver from mesa git.

Oh, that error message reminds me of another big difference... IRQs (necessary for sync-to-vblank) do not work with the r600 driver on FreeBSD since they, too, require KMS.

Adam

EDIT:

And let's not forget that KMS is necessary to get even 2D acceleration on the most recent AMD and Intel GPUs. So, once again, the driver on linux is more capable than it is on FreeBSD.

2nd EDIT:

According to one of the primary radeon driver developers, when asked if there are plans on moving the driver to the GEM backend:

Quote:
<glisse> adamk: no, GEM really only fit with igp gpu that don't have vram
Now, I admitted when I was wrong. Can you do the same?

Adam

Last edited by adamk; 26th March 2011 at 03:12 PM.