View Single Post
Old 8th September 2008
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder
This feature is more-or-less broken. It tries to make use of the svgalib (I think), which must be used as root user (if you can even get it to work in the first place). So root is browsing the web - does that sound safe to you.
No that doesn't sound particularly safe. I've never had much use for SVGAlib; a great many years ago I tried it out and, not surprizingly, lockups ensued. So it was basically anything that needed that, forget about it. One main reason for using Unix-like OSs is to increase stability, so why go down the road of decreasing it?

Coming back to links and NetBSD, what I wanted to muck around with (and again, doubt will work) is a thing called DirectFB, which is apparently supported by links. Now, the DirectFB README says it used to work on NetBSD 1.6, but that was a long time ago . I didn't see it in the precompiled packages for 4.0. Anyway, that all seems like an avenue to fool around with -- definitely not the sanctioned way to proceed -- and see what happens. But for me it's a low priority thing and I'm not sure when I'll get around to it. Would be interesting to know if anybody had luck with that or not.

Quote:
... what would be the benefits of lynx over links?
By way of background, I'm a longtime lynx user, just started using links too this year. (So I'm much more comfortable in lynx which is a bias.) A few lynx advantages off the top of my head:

* I like using vi keys for moving in a web page. links doesn't support them. (FWIW, I was able to hack them in, to a point.)

* When you cancel a page load with the Z key in links, it kills what you've got so far and goes back to the prior page. This can be quite annoying if you had what you wanted on the new page.

* When you move back through the history in links, you don't always end up on the link you started at, you may be at the top link in the page. Similary, when you load a new page, you're not on any link in the page, you have to hit DownArrow to get to the first one.

* lynx can be a useful file manager, e.g., you can tag things and delete them.

I like links a lot for certain things (like reading this forum), but lynx is so venerable and has so many features that links isn't a true drop-in replacement like the authors claim. (Not that it needs to be.)

Last edited by IdOp; 8th September 2008 at 08:23 PM.