View Single Post
Old 11th November 2008
Shell Scout

Hi all

Wow, this takes a lot of time to research

So, I've finally selected some hardware, and I would like to run it by you for final 'approval' (). I've attached a picture of my selection so far. There are duplicates in there which I still need to choose between. I will try to explain my thoughts.

CPU
I understand the preference for AMD that has been mentioned many times here. I appreciate that preference. On the other hand, I see AMD rates below Intel on many tests, both concerning speed but most certainly also, and I feel that is important, on power consumption. Every test seems to read to me 'hmm, it performs worse *and* it has much higher energy use'. So I am more or less tempted to stick with Intel.

The Q8200 is a little cheaper than the Q9400, but I've also noticed the Q8200 doesn't have 'Intel VT'. I have no clue is that is important to me: could anybody advise me please?

Moreover, Vermaden writes:

Quote:
Intel Qxxxx series quad core cannot be used in SMP setup, you will have to use a Xeon
Do I understand correctly that this means the quad cores are actually useless since it will operate as 1 core? If so, it wouldn't be very usefull to buy Intel quad core, no? I would need to buy Xeon then? But which one? There are about a zillion Xeons? And then I probably also need another mainboard?

Video
Actually, I have no clue which one to take. I've taken good notice of the comments about the black window by mdh, but on the other hand, Nvidia has FBSD-drivers and ATI has not. So I'm tempted to stay with Nvidia, and I've selected three not all the expensive cards. After that, I am lost (): I have no clue how to pick one of the three. They are all GDDR3, but that's as far as my guesses go.

Mainboard
I've looked up some tests, it seems the P5Q and P5QE are both tested rather well. But which one to choose

PSU
Thanks for the advise on 80plus. I've selected the Corsair (I thought I've read it has good comments, and it isn't very expensive), and I've added the Seasonic based on the advises posted here. Again: and so, now I am stuck: which one to choose?

HDD
Actually the 750GB would be fine, but I've noticed the 1,5TB has a slightly lower price per GB. Whichever it will be, I would install two I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
I would get Intel Q35 for Intel CPU setup or AMD 780G/790GX for AMD CPU setup.
They both as integrated GFX:
Intel Q35 --> with Intel open source drivers will work almost everywhere.
780G/790GX --> most powerful integrated card ever (HD3200/HD3300) open source drivers currently do @d (RadeonHD) but 3D will come in some time (1 year?).

Also Intel Q35 has Intel VT-d extensions.
I am still a little lost about the Q35 chipset Vermaden: I am not that technical so going through all the technical details isn't telling me too much. From what I've read the Q35 has integrated audio, and that's about it? (I'm probably writing something very stupid right now - forgive me in advance ). The Asus mainboards selected here have P45, is that bad?

Once again, thank you all for your kindness in helping me out: it is much appreciated (!)

EDIT: I just noticed the attached picture has been scaled down into something not very readable. Upload on an external host:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tweakers_pc.jpg (38.9 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by Broodjegehaktmetmayo; 11th November 2008 at 11:02 AM.