View Single Post
Old 17th March 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Biscuit View Post
Questions are:
1) Are there any new features in KDE or Gnome- but not currently available for OpenBSD- that you wish were available? Are there any features for other systems such as Linux or others that you wish were available?

2) What do you do the most with your system and how does it affect your personal life?

3) Why do you like using and/or coding OpenBSD?

4) What is your view on the OpenBSd community and culture or is that not important to you?

5) Do you have time to socialize? How often?
1.) I could not care less about KDE or Gnome. I use CWM for the past 2.5 years. Before that I used OpenBox. I do miss some stuff for my professional work on BSDs not OpenBSD per se which is only available on Linux. I miss Open64 compiler for instance which is not available on BSDs and CUDA drivers for example. OpenBSD is not suitable as a High Performance Computing Platform but NetBSD would be well suitable with a little bit of cooperation from vendors.

On OpenBSD itself I do not miss anything from Linux but I would like to see some other things ported like Hammer file system from DragonFly or Solaris technologies as ZFS and DTrace (which will never happen as they are not free). NetBSD has some very interesting stuff coming up for 6.0 release.

I am also missing on OpenBSD a damn good system compiler (PPC needs to be finished and that GCC garbage needs to be out).

On the desktop side native Opera, IcedTea (which is in works) and why not native Flash would be nice to have. I use Opera via Linux emulation layer right now. Once in very, very long while I need to use Acrobat Reader and plug in for browser. Unfortunately Acrobat 9.0 doesn't work on OpenBSD even under Linux emulation. Native MATLAB would be hand to have on my laptop for prototyping instead of FreeMat. It would be nice if AVASYS drivers for scanners would actually be open sourced for real instead of using Linux specific binary blobs. Fortunately new trend is that better scanners do not need drivers. They can scan directly to USB. If you look carefully all this desktop stuff has nothing to do with OpenBSD. I am simply missing few proprietary programs which would be nice to have.

2.) I work with computers every day. Mostly scientific programming, light system administration, and lots of desktop stuff like publishing (writing papers), data mining etc. OpenBSD doesn't affect my personal life nor the relations with my kids or wife in any meaningful way. Actually, my kids thing that I am cool because I can decrypt scrambled DVDs and do lots of fun stuff with computers that the parents of their friends do not know how to do.

3.) Because it is fun.

4.) I like them and I lake it A LOT!!!

5.) I usually spend all my spare time with my children. I can not recall when I did something on my own last time.

Last edited by Oko; 18th March 2011 at 12:15 AM.