View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th February 2009
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
On a completely unrelated note: how hot does it get down there? I have relatives in New Mexico that I might visit and don't know if I should go in the summer? I've heard from others that it is a dry heat and so isn't that bad - is that true? Also, how are the killer bees?
It depends where in AZ, and it matters a lot. The northern part of the state is temperate, and gets snow in the winter. Phoenix, on the other hand, is really, really hot. Tucson is a tad less so.

By "really hot" it means that starting in April or so the daytime temperatures exceed 100, and that does not let off until October. The summers during July and August are typically 105 during the day and 95 at night, give or take. Before this monsoon season, it gets hotter, but is more dry. Highs earlier are closer to 110, though it does get up to 120. You would not believe the intensity of the sun, and one is constantly thirsty.

It is dry, relatively speaking, but there is a lot of water and lawns in Phoenix that add water to the atmosphere. There's a lot of allergens these days too, since people have brought their favorite plants with them and they have grown. And pollinated.

Many people make their peace with it, the others leave again. Count me in the latter group. I found the heat oppressive.

Winters are pretty nice, but it is odd to have the nice weather when the days are so very short. It is also not unusual for it to freeze at night.