View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th July 2016
New User

Yes, that's what I hope to do, implement a few keep it simple solutions to secure my home network, though there's no top secret data being protected.

Overall I want to keep my traffic from general web surfing, Playstation, MythTV etc on a separate VLAN from my shared files. I'll install a basic setup of pfSense too, on an old dedicated box, because to me it make sense to maintain that long term compared to learning about and implementing new mediocre firewalls that come with ISP provided all in one devices every couple of years. Plus, plugins for Snort etc are nice add-ons.

On the laptop I could use a wireless network connection for web surfing (more vulnerable) and simply switch to the wired network to access shared files. Thanks for the heads-up about NFS v4. As far as I know NFS v3 will be more than enough for me, because I won't be using advanced features such as parallel access and domains. So maybe I'll set that up with OpenBSD -- not sure yet. What annoys me is that an NFS client was added in Windows 7 and then removed in Windows 8 or 10. I'd rather not mess with Samba because that would add the overhead of maintaining another part of the eco-system.