Thread: Server Access
View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th August 2013
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas

Some feedback for this post.
We have been filtering foreign ip's for approx (3) weeks.
We are running (10) virtual hosts on Ver 5.3 +Apache (chrooted) All dealing with a simple sevice business
spanning several counties in our state. (no e-commerce, sql, email, nada, simply text and pics)

As a new administrator I didn't want to develope the websites all over again following a hack etc.
To make it short and sweet I have many very experienced friends and associates with far more formal
and practical knowledge with web developement and administration. I won 't bore you wth their stories.
Suffice it to say
REASON # 1 why i use OpenBSD.

Following filtering foreign ip's (pf.conf) using <table> instantly filters approx 79-80% of traffic. Table size being filtered contains 3 meg or about (who knows) how many ip address's. You don't notice any lag in webspeed. Since our business has absolutely no reason to cater to anyone outside our immediate countywide area it was a good move **[for us]** and especially me, as i can spend time learning OpenBSD instead of re-installing it.

Thankyou! OpenBSD developers!

Last edited by frcc; 12th August 2013 at 03:37 AM.