View Single Post
Old 30th July 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I saw those statistics based upon Linux kernel git commits couple of years ago. I would be hard pressed to reproduce the source. I was very surprised with the fact that Debian and Canonical contribute very little to Linux kernel. As a matter of full disclosure I will state that when I have to use Linux I use only Red Hat derivatives but I honestly have no horse in Red Hat vs Debian race. My preference is not to use Linux whenever possible to use BSDs instead.
According to the Linux Development report they only contributed about 10% last year: http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-contributors/

Corporations play a big role, but a single entity has never been responsible for more than about 15% of the code, let alone 85%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I appologize for the part of the post you found incorrect and offensive. Sometimes it is hard to read people just based on their posts and e-mails.
Fair enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
The question of course is, are the contributions really worthwhile for the rest of the community?
That's debatable. Most development is self serving by nature and when some individual, organisation or corporation is contributing to something like the Linux kernel, it's because they're going to benefit from it. Whether Red Hat's commits are really beneficial to the average end user, or geared mainly towards it's enterprise customers and pushing systemd remains to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
The canonical example of course is systemd. Many people feel the world would be a better place without it...
As much as I'd like to blame Canonical for systemd, it's a Red Hat product. Canonical's similar init system was upstart, they have recently announced that they will be abandoning it and also jumping on the systemd bandwagon.