View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Arp Constable

Well the error message suggests that a pointer is being free()'d that points to a wrong page, my guess is either you or the MySQL-Heads have screwed up a pointer.

When a pointer goes through free() it probably will still point to whatever it pointed to before and the page gets marked so it can be tucked away for re-allocation, or whatever the memory manager decides to do.

allocated memory is never 'just' the size you asked for because the memory manager needs to know how to work with it.

My guess is the memory manager is being told to free() memory that has been free()'d, and already merged with another segment of memory which you no longer have direct (safe) access to. Which may have been re-allocated in which case, one could be trying to free the wrong memory, which would probably be bad.

general disclaimer:

for as much as I love C, I'm probably not a good C programmer, so take my words with a grain of salt unless a good C programmer speakers up to related effect.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.