View Single Post
Old 18th December 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnix View Post
I...reading the FAQ, I got the impression that "OpenBSD people" discourage compiling stuff wherever possible. Use of packages seem to be encouraged, sticking to the GENERIC kernel, etc.
You are confusing third party software with the base OS, and confusing source maintenance and support with customization.

For third party applications, it is recommended to use binary packages over building from ports when the appropriate package is available. The reasons and exceptions are discussed in FAQ 15.4.6.

The GENERIC and GENERIC.MP kernels contain all supported functionality. There are some unsupported features that require customization. "Stripping" the kernel is possible, but is not supported. Custom kernels are discussed in FAQ 5.6.
Quote:
The FreeBSD people...
These are different operating systems. Yes, they are both BSDs, but their developments have been on divergent paths for 19 years.
Quote:
...Perhaps I will read that part of the FAQ again closer if you think this method will make me a better OpenBSD user?
Good idea. OpenBSD has four official sources of information: 1) The FAQ, which is a combination of FAQ, HOWTO, and Handbook. 2) Man pages, the definitive documentation. 3) The OpenBSD Journal, a juried publication open to submissions by both developers and users, and 4) The mailing lists.