Thread: IPF & PF
View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Sun is no longer. Oracle is calling the shots, & I suspect there is still upheaval going on following the merger. What is the value of having PF on Solaris? If porting is not likely to generate measurable sales, I suspect (again, conjecture...) there is little desire to port PF.
I was suspecting an answer like this, so in software business it's not about how cool an app is, it's about the demand for it; and since SUN|Oracle is dominant now *as is* I do not anticipate *soon* that a developer some where will pop on the grid of software development map and say hey, let's add this cool feature to our system cause for them if it do not mean more money or a better place then to hell with it!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
PF relies heavily on BSD kernel internals, (..mbufs for example, the BSD representation of network packets/buffers).

It's not an easy task to port something that's intimately part of the kernel, it's far reaching, even the FreeBSD/NetBSD ports of PF are based on an earlier version.

A lot of projects have their own packet filters, adapting another would probably be counter productive.. and in some cases, it would be a full rewrite.
they can do it if they want to, but they won't

any way thanks guys for the answer