View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn1u View Post
Im new user, so Hi everyone.

I need a few answers. I wanna install OpenBSD for counter strike servers.
I'm not aware of a native port of the Counter Strike server for OpenBSD, though Googling has shown people attempting to use it under Linux emulation, with varying degrees of success.

Did you plan to run a Linux binary under OpenBSD/i386 emulation, or did you plan to port the Linux version to OpenBSD? There are significant considerations for either method.

In brief:
Linux emulation emulates calls to the kernel (syscalls), only, and it is a relatively older Linux kernel being emulated. Assuming the older kernel emulation can even be used, you will need to acquire all userland libraries necessary from Linux applications. Reading both FAQ 9.4 and the compat_linux(8) man page is mandatory.

Porting a Linux application requires knowledge of both Linux and BSD internals. The porting checklists and porting guides that are adjunct to FAQ 15 are mandatory reading, as is FAQ 15 in its entirety.
Quote:
...everone knows thats hdd is cryptography thats why obsd is slower than freebsd or netbsd i think so.
You do not understand OpenBSD's value. While cryptographic integration is a strength, this has nothing to do with OS speed, and would have nothing to do with an application that does not use any cryptographic features. Please read www.openbsd.org/goals.html for details.
Quote:
Is it good choice ? I need high secury os.
Security in OpenBSD comes primarily from code correctness, audit, and some technological features, per www.openbsd.org/security.html -- None of these are necessarily applicable to your needs as described. Based on your lack-of-knowledge about OpenBSD, and the chasm you need to cross in order to either run in emulation or to port Counter Strike, I would think not.
Quote:
I need flash
Flash 7 is availalble via the gnash package, or, for OpenBSD/i386, with the Opera-flashplugin. AFAIK, there are no Flash 8/9 tools available for OpenBSD. If you need a modern Flash client, you need a different OS.
Quote:
I found sysjail for openbsd http://richizo.wordpress.com/2008/12...sd-in-5-steps/
is that good choice ?
No.

The OpenBSD Project frowns on "how to" web pages found in the wild. That is because they are often poorly written, out of date, make incorrect assumptions, and may do more damage than good. This is an excellent example of a "How to" that falls into this category -- go to http://sysjail.bsd.lv/ and read the paragraph at the top that starts with "IMPORTANT:" Why? Because if you want high security, you do not want to use a tool that describes itself as "vulnerable to exploit." Systrace(1), used by sysjail, is a terrific facility, but it is not intended to be used to create "jails" for untrusted shell users. Untrusted applications and diagnostics are its intended areas of use. There are other ways to restrict shell users, depending on specific requirements.

Last edited by jggimi; 11th May 2009 at 09:42 PM.