View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st May 2008
Arp Constable

When I saw this threads title my first thought was

of course there is no gui !

The X Windows system needs to be told how to use the system and what you wish it to execute when started.

I assume you installed the x*43.tgz file sets and gave a yes to the do you intend to run X question.

SOP after install is to setup the local machine settings (passwords, usrs, network, software, etc).

If you haven't created a working xorg.conf file yet you will need to, it can be done manually and interactively via xorgconf at the command line. I would suggest using X.Org to figure things out on it's own (less headache),

Code:
X -configure
if the conf file doesn't work, people will need to know about your hardware configuration and the content X's log files.

I'm not familiar with the X related file sets but would expect the usual TWM being shipped out of the box.

You will need to tell the system when and how to start X, either via manually telling it to start or (as you probably want) to automatically start a graphical login program such as XDM, GDM, or KDM (X, Gnome, and KDE deskop login managers respectfully). XDM should come with xbase43.tgz or xerv43.tgz, the others based on kde/gnome installs.

Things such as gnome would be third party and not in the base file sets installed, dunno if they come on the CD-ROM (as I can't afford one, or I'd have one), They can always be added via pkg_add if you don't have them installed (your not very specific).

The FAQ has a great section on setting up X.

Once X is starting and the WM to run when the user logs in is setup, all should work fine.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.