View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2012
Port Guard

Default FreeBSD user going to try OpenBSD

Hi everybody,

I've got 2 FreeBSD 9.0 boxes but usually use my laptop for everything and the other one just sits there drawing electricity so decided to install NetBSD or OpenBSD on it.

I did some research first to see what the difference was in the two and decided on OpenBSD. OpenBSD had the emphasis on security, uses the pf firewall and the ports system, which I enjoy using. Who would have thought watching screen after screen of text scroll by could be enjoyable?

I had an OpenBSD 5.0 install disk already burned and wrote it to a 4GB USB stick to see if I liked it, but there was just so much I could do with that and made the leap to install it to the HD.

I found a site that told how to go about populating the source and posts tree and am downloading source as I type. I found another site that lists the ports by category and once I get the ports tree populated will be installing Fluxbox and MC to get started. With FreeBSD I usually wait to log onto a desktop till I get everything installed but will see how it goes.

If there are any major differences in use of OpenBSD and FreeBSD you can think of that might give me a leg up on it I'd appreciate hearing them.