View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th February 2015
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstef View Post
i've a loongson machine and i use the http://ftp.openbsd.dk mirror.
It takes about 12 hours to build a loongson snapshot. It takes about a month to build packages. See the disconnect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstef View Post
i understand compile packages need time, what i don't understand is if the base system is complete at 05:39 in the morning and the package is compiled at 13:07 i expect this package is compiled using the new library. if not, for me, don't make sense and is impossible debuggin. i know the loongson architecture is something "rare" but i'm using it :-)
No. The base system was uploaded at that time. Likewise, the package build was uploaded at that time. It says nothing as to when a compile was finished. Because of the way bulk packages are built, the whole tree is built at once.
So it looks like this:
Install new snapshot->build the entire ports tree->upload all packages
For really fast architectures it might only take a day to build all the packages and therefore packages have a good chance of lining up. For loongson it means the smapshot used to build the packages is already a month old by the time the final packages are uploaded. But development doesn't stop (and neither does making newer snapshots).
TLDR: don't expect snapshots and snapshot packages to ever line up for slow archs.