View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th June 2013
Spam Deminer

I use rsync, but I haven't looked carefully at how I mirror and backup yet. There are some things I hope to do better someday.

I've generally made do with one way sync. i.e. I take whatever's on one side and replace what's on the other side with that. Eventually I want to merge the two sides taking what's changed from either (or the more appropriate with conflicts resolved interactively). While starting to learn the ML programming language, I noticed in the promotional materials for OCaml that there's a file sync program called Unison written in OCaml that's supposed to handle that well. Someday I'll try it.

Another piece I've not looked at yet is keeping old copies of files (akin to VMS, Hammer's builtin snapshotting, or a version control system). With rsync, I'm pretty sure this is simply a matter of supplying the right flag (this has come up on OpenBSD mailing lists) but I haven't tried that yet either.

Finally, I have to figure out a better way of syncing a bunch of mail folders, as created by the Gnus newsreader/mail client, on one machine and syncing them in a way that I can run Gnus on the 2nd machine and have all pointers or whatever synced up in a way that it looks the same as on the original machine. I'm guessing this will require understanding how Gnus writes its files and may not be a simple matter of syncing every file involved.

But until I can get OpenBSD working on my fast machine (someone added an ACPI fix to a recent current that looks very promising), I'm considering everything sort of interim anyway, so my syncing is kind of sloppy.