Thread: halt -p problem
View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th June 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiparo View Post
Code:
bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+ BIOS, date 08/13/08, SMBIOS rev. 2.4 @ 0xe5180 (33 entries)
In looking at HP's Website, I get 300 hits when looking for "Presario CQ60". In order to find out whether there is a newer BIOS available for your system, you need to look yourself. Having the SKU number found on the model tag will help.
  1. If you find that a newer BIOS is available, I would recommend installing it first. This may or may not resolve your shutdown(8) problems, but it will be a step in the right direction.
  2. If installing a newer BIOS does not resolve the problem, you may want to temporarily disable acpi(4). Information on how to temporarily disable drivers or permanently disable drivers can be found in
    Section 5.9 of the FAQ. This also may or may not fix the problem.
  3. Your dmesg(8) indicates that you are using the MP kernel:
    Quote:
    Code:
    OpenBSD 4.6 (GENERIC.MP) #89: Thu Jul 9 21:32:39 MDT 2009
    deraadt@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sy...ile/GENERIC.MP
    You may want to experiment with the SP kernel to see if the same problem occurs with this kernel. Yes, I can understand why you might not want to use a single-processor kernel with a multi-core processor. Information on booting different kernels can be found in the boot(8) manpage & Section 5.8 of the FAQ.
  4. There has been a rash of acpi(4) problems on Hewlett-Packard hardware of late. Whoever is designing this hardware is not following the ACPI standard. An example thread on the official misc@ mailing list can be found at the following:

http://marc.info/?t=127696382100004&r=1&w=2

As seen here, work on acpi(4) is going on this week at the c2k10 hackathon. For these reasons, I agree with BSDfan666's suggestion of installing a -current snapshot & test. Because the hackathon is going on now, it may be worth waiting a few weeks for the CVS tree to settle down before trying -current. Trying 4.7-release is another option, but trying the latest code will be of more interest to the developers if you later choose to escalate the problem to them in a problem report.